If you have been issued a speeding ticket, please read on, then contact an experienced Nassau County speeding ticket lawyer to learn if you can lose your license for a speeding ticket in New York.
Can a speeding ticket cost you your driver’s license in New York?
Under New York Law, if you sustain convictions for three speeding offenses within an 18-month period, you will have your driver’s license suspended or revoked for six months. Furthermore, the number of points on your license will vary based on how many miles over the limit you are charged with violating. They are as follows:
- 1 to 10 miles per hour over the limit: 3 points
- 11 to 20 miles per hour over the limit: 4 points
- 21 to 30 miles per hour over the limit: 6 points
- 31 to 40 miles per hour over the limit: 8 points
- 41 miles per hour or more over the limit: 11 points and automatic license suspension
If you were involved in street racing, speed contests or other such illegal activities, your speed violations may turn into reckless driving charges, which are much more severe. Either way, you would be well-advised to retain the services of a skilled Nassau County traffic violation lawyer to discuss your options and plan your defense.
What can you do to prevent losing your New York driver’s license for a speeding violation?
That will depend on where you were, how fast you have been accused of driving and which speeding limits you exceeded, i.e. absolute speed limits versus presumed limits. In many areas, traffic police operate under the presumed speed limits, meaning, for example, that if the speed limit is 40 MPH and you drive safely at 49 MPH, you are not likely to be stopped or issued a ticket. In either case, you have defense strategies at your disposal, including arguing:
- You were not exceeding the posted speed limit
- Even if you exceeded the posted limit, you were driving safely given the specific road, weather and traffic conditions at the time
- The officer’s radar was not reliable because the device was not properly calibrated
- The officer mistook your car for another car
- The officer paced your car incorrectly, i.e. attempted to drive the same speed, and therefore ended up with an inaccurate speed estimate
It is best to have a seasoned legal professional make these arguments on your behalf, so please do not hesitate to give us a call today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Whether you need a Nassau County Criminal Defense Lawyer or traffic ticket attorney, The Law Office of Jacob A. Rudman is here to help. Our firm has significant experience representing clients facing a wide range of criminal charges, including DUIs, drug crimes, domestic violence, assault, juvenile crimes, and more. If you have been issued a traffic ticket, it is important to contact us today. We zealously represent clients facing tickets for speeding, reckless driving, driving without a license, and those caught using a mobile device. Contact us today to schedule your first consultation with our trusted legal team.