Possession of certain drugs can lead to either misdemeanor or felony charges, depending on the type and weight of the substance found. But what about marijuana? While laws are swiftly changing all over the United States, New York included, you may still face criminal liability if you are found in possession of cannabis. If you are facing drug charges, please read on, then contact an experienced Nassau County drug crime lawyer to learn what are the consequences of marijuana possession in New York.
What should you know about marijuana possession in New York?
Even though the recreational use of marijuana has been legalized in the state of New York, there are still limits to the amount of marijuana you can possess. In New York state, you may not do any of the following:
- Possess more than 3 ounces of cannabis
- Possess more than 24 grams of cannabis concentrate
- Grow more than 6 mature and 6 immature plants per household
- Traffick any quantity of cannabis
What are the consequences of marijuana possession in New York?
If you are found to have violated any of the above-listed laws concerning marijuana possession, you will most likely face criminal charges. The charges and penalties are as follows:
- The possession of 3 to 8 ounces: Misdemeanor crime, which may warrant jail time and high fines
- Possession of more than 8 ounces: Felony charges with between 4 to 15 years of incarceration and fines ranging from $5,000 to $15,000
- Illegally selling of up to 25 grams of marijuana: Misdemeanor crime, up to one year in jail and a potential $1,000 fine
- Illegally selling more than 25 grams: Felony charges with between 4 to 15 years of incarceration and fines ranging from $5,000 to $15,000
- Trafficking any amount of marijuana: Felony with a minimum of 15 years of incarceration and a potential $100,000 fine
How can a Nassau County criminal defense lawyer help you?
Your rights may have been violated without you being aware of the fact. A skilled Nassau County criminal defense attorney will question the legitimacy of the police officers’ probable cause and the reliability of their tests. Your charges may be subject to reduction or even dismissal. Let our firm fight for you and your future.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Whether you need a Nassau County Criminal Defense Lawyer or traffic ticket attorney, The Law Office of Jacob A. Rudman is here to help. Our firm has significant experience representing clients facing a wide range of criminal charges, including DUIs, drug crimes, domestic violence, assault, juvenile crimes, and more. If you have been issued a traffic ticket, it is important to contact us today. We zealously represent clients facing tickets for speeding, reckless driving, driving without a license, and those caught using a mobile device. Contact us today to schedule your first consultation with our trusted legal team.