If I’m Charged With a DUI in New York, Will I Go to Trial?

DUI case that went to trial

Driving while intoxicated is a serious charge that can seriously impact the rest of your life. Not only does it affect your ability to travel, but a DUI conviction can lead to jail time, hefty fines, and a permanent stain on your criminal record. If charged with a DUI, you may wonder if it will go to trial. Keep reading to learn more about this process and why you need the assistance of an experienced Nassau County DUI lawyer to provide guidance.

What Factors Influence Whether or Not a DUI Case Will Go to Trial?

The main factor that will influence whether or not your DUI will proceed to a trial is how you plead.

Pleading guilty means you admit to committing the crime and accept the penalties against you. Generally, this is done to avoid a trial, as it can be time-consuming and costly. In cases where you know the state has an insurmountable amount of evidence against you, it may be in your best interest to avoid a trial. This is even more true if the prosecution offers you a plea deal which may reduce the charges against you. However, you should never plead guilty without consulting an experienced attorney first. It’s essential to remember that if you plead guilty, these charges will be on your record forever. Going to trial means you have the opportunity to be found not guilty.

If you plead not guilty, you maintain that you are innocent. As a result, you will present your case to trial. The prosecution will present evidence to try and prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are guilty. After the prosecution presents, the defense will provide its own evidence to dispute and dispel the claims against them.

What Should I Do if I’m Arrested for an Alleged DUI?

When you are pulled over and arrested on suspicion of a DUI, it’s essential to proceed correctly. Unfortunately, you may find that trying to plead your innocence leads to accidentally admitting that you have committed wrongdoing. Anything you say can and will be used against you, so it is in your best interest to remain silent. Inform the officer that you will not be speaking, and request an attorney.

As previously mentioned, you should not enter any plea without consulting an attorney. An experienced attorney can help provide insight into the best way to proceed based on your circumstances.

When you need legal guidance, the Law Office of Jacob A. Rudman is here to help. Our dedicated legal team can help you navigate this complex process to fight for the best possible outcome for you. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.

Read Our Recent Blog

View More