An underage DWI charge can have life-long negative impacts. If you have been charged, it is in your best interest to reach out to our experienced New York criminal defense attorneys as soon as possible to ensure you and your future are protected.
What will happen if I am charged with underage DWI?
DWI charges are severe in the state of New York. However, underage DWI charges have even harsher penalties. If the individual has a blood alcohol content of .02% or higher while operating a vehicle underage, you will likely face the following penalties:
- 6 months license suspension
- $125 civil penalty
- $100 fee for suspension termination
- Ignition interlock device installation and associated installment fees
- Enrollment in the New York Drinking Driver Program and associated fees
Those who are underage who do not submit a chemical test will also likely face the following penalties:
- $250 annual assessment fine for 3 years
- $100 fee to reinstate your license
- Revoked license for at least one year
- $300 civil penalty
What are defenses against underage DWI charges?
If you have been charged with an underage DWI, you will need to retain the services of a criminal defense attorney. If you have a skilled criminal defense attorney on your side, they will be able to work on disproving your underage DWI charges to avoid the negative consequences that this charge can have on your future. Additionally, a criminal defense attorney will be able to assess the details of your arrest and determine if law enforcement made any mistakes during your arrest or if there were any other factors that may make evidence against you objectionable.
The most common defenses used against DWI charges by experienced criminal defense attorneys include, and are not limited to the following:
- You have a health issue that prevents you from being able to properly take a breath test
- The officer failed to demonstrate the test
- The officer failed to explain all the instructions
- The officer failed to inform you that you were allowed to remove high heels during the test
- Unlawful stopping by law enforcement
- Improper administering of a Field Sobriety Test
It is in your best interest to reach out to our skilled criminal defense attorneys as soon as possible. Our legal team is equipped with the perseverance and experience required to fight for you and your future.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Whether you need a Nassau County Criminal Defense Lawyer or traffic ticket attorney, The Law Office of Jacob A. Rudman is here to help. Our firm has significant experience representing clients facing a wide range of criminal charges, including DUIs, drug crimes, domestic violence, assault, juvenile crimes, and more. If you have been issued a traffic ticket, it is important to contact us today. We zealously represent clients facing tickets for speeding, reckless driving, driving without a license, and those caught using a mobile device. Contact us today to schedule your first consultation with our trusted legal team.