Expungements are not recognized in the state of New York, however, sealing is. To learn more about the sealing process, reach out to our firm to speak with an experienced Nassau County criminal defense attorney.
What are expungements in New York?
It is unfortunate that the state of New York does not allow expungement. However, you will want to recognize that you may be permitted to have your record sealed which allows you to make your record private to the public. Essentially, the difference between expungements and sealing a criminal record is that the sealed record still exists for certain law enforcement agencies’ access while expungements erase all records of the criminal charge or arrest.
How does the sealing process work?
It is important to note that the sealing process involves a number of different steps. The first step, and arguably the most important, is to retain the services of a skilled attorney that has specific experience working with the sealing of criminal records.
- First, your attorney will file a motion in court.
- You will meet and speak with the county clerk who filed and prosecuted you.
- Your attorney will assist you with filling out the petition to seal the records form.
- If this form is challenged, you will present evidence in a courtroom with the assistance of your attorney.
- If it is approved, your record is successfully sealed, which will make your record private to the public.
What crimes are eligible for being sealed in New York?
In New York, a number of different crimes can be sealed. For example, crimes that are eligible to be sealed with the help of an attorney include:
- Specific marijuana-related crimes
- Charges with no conviction
- Non-criminal violations
- Certain juvenile crimes
- Certain felonies and misdemeanors
- If you entered an alcohol or drug treatment program that was mandated by the court, have satisfied any sentences or request mandated after you’ve completed treatment, and have no additional pending charges
To learn more about the sealing process, reach out to our firm today. Our legal team is equipped with the experience and knowledge required to ensure that you and your future are protected. Do not wait to contact us today to speak with a skilled Nassau County criminal defense attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Whether you need a Nassau County Criminal Defense Lawyer or traffic ticket attorney, The Law Office of Jacob A. Rudman is here to help. Our firm has significant experience representing clients facing a wide range of criminal charges, including DUIs, drug crimes, domestic violence, assault, juvenile crimes, and more. If you have been issued a traffic ticket, it is important to contact us today. We zealously represent clients facing tickets for speeding, reckless driving, driving without a license, and those caught using a mobile device. Contact us today to schedule your first consultation with our trusted legal team.