DWI charges carry serious penalties. If you are convicted of a DWI or DUI offense, you will have your license suspended or revoked. You will be fined by the court and also by the Department of Motor Vehicles. You may be sentenced to jail and your car can be permanently forfeited.
If you are convicted of an alcohol or drug-related traffic offense or if you refuse to take a breath test or chemical test, the DMV will require you to pay an annual driver responsibility assessment of $250 for three years. The total assessment for the three years is $750.
You must pay the driver responsibility assessment whether you have a driver’s license issued by New York State, another state, or even if you do not have a driver’s license.
At the law offices of Rudman & Rudman, we understand that a conviction for DWI, DUI or DWAI can affect your entire life. With more than four decades of legal experience, our law firm knows how to represent you to the fullest extent of the law if you are charged with any DWI offense.
DWI Charges and the Consequences
DWI offenses carry stiff penalties. A misdemeanor DWI conviction will stay on your insurance for 10 years. To protect your rights, it is crucial to work with a knowledgeable and experienced DWI defense lawyer.
Our law firm has defended many motorists facing the following types of drunk driving offenses:
- First offense DWI, which can result in jail time as well as the required installation of an ignition interlock device in any car you own or operate. In addition, your vehicle may be forfeited.
- Repeat and felony DWI, which can include mandatory jail time and permanent loss of your license.
- Aggravated DWI/Child in Vehicle (Leandra’s Law), which is a Class E felony when a child who is 15-years-of-age or younger is a passenger in the vehicle.
- Underage DWI, which can include alcohol, drugs or both
- DWAI drug charges, even with prescription drugs
- Breathalyzer test refusal, which will result in your license being revoked upon arraignment
We represent clients who refuse a Breathalyzer, urine or blood test.
We can also represent you in getting a conditional and/or hardship license.
Speak with an experienced lawyer at our firm–call us now. We will help you.
If you have been charged with a DWI, DWAI or DUI in New York, it is important to seek experienced legal counsel right away. Our law firm represents drivers throughout Nassau County, Suffolk County, and the five boroughs.